Monday, November 5, 2012

Nights

David is on, what he calls, "nights" this week and next. He's working 2:30 to 11:00 pm, which anyone who has actually worked a night shift knows is really an "evening", and anyone who has kids and dreads the dinner-bath-bedtime routine knows is a "blessing".

Despite the solo juggling act of getting both kids fed, bathed, and put to bed on time, the reward of a quiet house and no one to interrupt me while I do whateverthehellIwant . . . is awesome. Tonight it has been drinking tea, making sweet face love to the best pastries you can buy at the Cloverdale Bakery, and playing on the computer (blogging, reading blogs, discovering online photo collage-making a la PicMonkey - thank you Lindsay!!). Later I may read a book that wasn't written by Sandra Boynton.

The other nice thing about the evening rotation is that David is home and awake in the mornings to have family time with all of us, or to watch the kids so I can jet out and do errands. Conversely I can take the kids away and he can have down time. Somehow, when he is on "nights" we get along better too. Probably because we don't have time to talk to each other in complete conversations with Sammus Interruptus around - and if you can't talk, you can't argue!

-----------------

Look what I can do in about 20 seconds with PicMonkey!!
All photos by the fabulous Lise Kwan (except for the one she is in) taken at a local winery Grape Stomp competition - so much fun! We will have to make a team and participate next year!

-----------------

While I didn't choose to write about the U.S. election tomorrow (as was the BlogHer prompt) I am interested in the results and am firmly seated in the Obama camp. Just wanted to put that out there in case some fence-sitter is reading tonight and is subconsciously swayed by my endorsement : )


1 comment:

  1. it's called the swing shift. and I can relate, I liked the quiet evenings this allowed me. doesn't mean you don't love your spouse, just means that the downtime without any interruptions are a welcome respite.

    ReplyDelete